Re: wordpress/apache

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:18:52AM +0100, Chris Davies wrote:
> Tony Baldwin <tony@tonybaldwin.org> wrote:
> > As far as "just work", this is generally the case for a lot of stuff,
> > but for a web application, you have to consider that not everyone wants
> > to use only wordpress as their webroot, which is why such things are
> > left to the user to configure, rather than automagical.
>
> I agree with you that it's good that Debian doesn't constrain my
> solution space. What threw me (although I can't speak for the OP)
> was my expectation from other web related packages that there would be
> something like "http://localhost//wordpress/"; ready and waiting for me
> to customise. Yes, it's easy to add but when someone is unfamiliar with
> an application, the easier the better. ("/wordpress/" is clearly not the
> best of choices for a production installation, but who in their right
> mind would install Wordpress - or any other complex application for
> that matter - into a production instance without having first learned
> at least something about it?)
>

> > Most web applications I install from upstream sources [...]
> > I just install them where I want them somewhere in the webroot
> > (/var/www/somesubdir).
>
> I tend to install under /home/www/vHost/docroot/ rather than under
> /var/www, as it means I get to keep my log files near my vHosts (/logs
> instead of /docroot) and I can transfer the vHost in its entirely fairly
> cleanly to another host. Re upstream sources vs Debian, I tend to prefer
> the Debian approach as it fits with my system(s) cleanly. But there is
> always a place for a vanilla upstream install. I run Debian's Apache,
> MySQL, Perl, and PHP for instance, as they work. But I customise the
> Apache configuration within individual vHosts quite heavily.

Yes, some stuff I install somewhere in /home (often creating distinct
users for this), but I then symlink them in /var/www.
I don't think it's necessarily better, but works for me.
I will do this when, for instance, I have a test server here at home
that used to be a desktop. The /home partition is a lot bigger than the
/root (some 150gb hdd, with like 20gb / and 120ish /home), so there's
more space for stuff.

Also, I do use the debian packages for apache, mysql and php,
just stuff like wiki, blog, etc. (dokuwiki, wordpress, whatever),
I often find are easilier installed and managed from the upstream
sources (and stay more uptodate, although you do have to be careful
about incompatibilitlies with our older pkgs, like php, or whatever).

> > I always run Stable on servers, and packages can end up two years old,
>
> Likewise, except I often add backports for newer features that I really
> want.
>

> > It's funny, I stick with stable for the server os, but run apps on the
> > bleeding development edge from git repos all the time, now.
>
> Not really. One just hurts if it breaks, and the other is potentially
> professional stupidity. You have restorable backups, of course...?

always have backups!

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me