Re: wordpress/apache

Tony Baldwin <tony@tonybaldwin.org> wrote:
> As far as "just work", this is generally the case for a lot of stuff,
> but for a web application, you have to consider that not everyone wants
> to use only wordpress as their webroot, which is why such things are
> left to the user to configure, rather than automagical.

I agree with you that it's good that Debian doesn't constrain my
solution space. What threw me (although I can't speak for the OP)
was my expectation from other web related packages that there would be
something like "http://localhost//wordpress/"; ready and waiting for me
to customise. Yes, it's easy to add but when someone is unfamiliar with
an application, the easier the better. ("/wordpress/" is clearly not the
best of choices for a production installation, but who in their right
mind would install Wordpress - or any other complex application for
that matter - into a production instance without having first learned
at least something about it?)

> Most web applications I install from upstream sources [...]
> I just install them where I want them somewhere in the webroot
> (/var/www/somesubdir).

I tend to install under /home/www/vHost/docroot/ rather than under
/var/www, as it means I get to keep my log files near my vHosts (/logs
instead of /docroot) and I can transfer the vHost in its entirely fairly
cleanly to another host. Re upstream sources vs Debian, I tend to prefer
the Debian approach as it fits with my system(s) cleanly. But there is
always a place for a vanilla upstream install. I run Debian's Apache,
MySQL, Perl, and PHP for instance, as they work. But I customise the
Apache configuration within individual vHosts quite heavily.

> I always run Stable on servers, and packages can end up two years old,

Likewise, except I often add backports for newer features that I really
want.

> It's funny, I stick with stable for the server os, but run apps on the
> bleeding development edge from git repos all the time, now.

Not really. One just hurts if it breaks, and the other is potentially
professional stupidity. You have restorable backups, of course...?

Thanks for the tips
Chris