Re: what causes "slogin -X" to not generate a "$DISPLAY" variable on the server?

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:24:23 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2012, at 7:23 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Also, while searching for more information on this issue at Google I've
>> found many posts¹, articles and blogs² pointing to a problem with X
>> forwarding and ipv6 though I'm not sure this is going to
>> be the case for this but it can be something to consider :-?
>>
>> ¹http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1649657
>> ²http://hang4r.blogspot.com.es/2011/08/enabling-remote-x11-forwarding-over-ssh.html
>
> Which says that to overcome a bug that gets tickled when you disable
> IPv6, you have to add
> 	AddressFamily inet
> to the server's /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.

Holy cow! It was that? :-O

> Camaleón, you are awesome!  (I'll bet you knew that...   <-: )

He... thanks bro, it can only mean one thing: that you finally sorted
out the problem ;-)

> I *never* would have guessed that disabling IPv6 was causing my problem.
>  And if I did, I *really never* would have guessed that work- around!

Me neither. Indeed it was my last resort although it sounded tooooo weird
to be of any usefulness for your setup but, heck... with these things you
never know.

> For reasons that need not concern us here, I need to disable IPv6 on the
> portion of my lan containing the two servers in question.  I never
> guessed it would cause problems for X11 over ssh.  I will file a bug
> report ASAP against openssh-server.  I've spent over a week tracking
> this one down.
>
> And the awesome part is that you, Camaleón, didn't know that i had
> disabled IPv6, but you *still* found the necessary magic.  You are a
> wonderful asset to the Debian-user community.  We are privileged to have
> you with us!

You're welcome. One thing for sure is that neither you nor me are going
forget this problem with ssh and ipv6 for the next thousand years... the
strangest thing I've seen in a while :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón