Re: what causes "slogin -X" to not generate a "$DISPLAY" variable on the server?

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 11:48:15 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2012, at 10:06 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 03:56:35 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> Recently, when I do "slogin -X server" (for one particular server, not
>>> all of them) the resulting session can't run any X11 utilities (e.g.
>>> xterm) because there is no DISPLAY variable in the environment.
>>>
>>> It used to work.  I don't know what changed for sure.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know what can cause this?
>>
>> Try to run slogin with extra verbosity "on", e.g.:
>>
>> slogin -X user@server -vvv"
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> The client is a Mac G5 running OS-X Leopard.  The server is a Mac G4
> running Debian Squeeze.  It's not specific to this particular client. I
> get the same problem from a client running Debian Squeeze.
>
> Here's the output.  I see it requesting X11 forwarding (near the end)
> but I don't see anything specifically saying it was granted.  Nor do I
> see it being specifically refused.  Fascinating...
>
> Rick
>
> PS:  I recently ran "aptitude update && aptitude upgrade" on this server
> and it picked up a couple of months worth of updates.  I don't *think* I
> had this problem before then...
>

> bigal:~ rbthomas$ slogin -X -vvv macs
> OpenSSH_5.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28

(...)

> debug2: callback start
> debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth -f /tmp/ssh-3jAbtiROOy/xauthfile generate /tmp/launch-stxZNc/:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 untrusted timeout 1200 2>/dev/null
> debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth -f /tmp/ssh-3jAbtiROOy/xauthfile list /tmp/launch-stxZNc/:0 2>/dev/null
> debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
> debug2: channel 0: request x11-req confirm 0

(...)

Mmm, is that "untrusted timeout" right? I don't see it in my Lenny :-?

Given that you are login on your own computers you can try with "-Y" flag
(untrusted X11 forwarding) and see how it goes.

Another test you can run is by creating a new user and launching
"slogin -X -vvv macs xterm" session from there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón