Re: books on debian of a beginner nature?

will speak to what of this I can.

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012, Joe wrote:

.mp3

For musicians MP3 crap?

We are aware you have serious musical needs, but most of us don't. For
background listening while working, just about any player will do. You
need to be paying close attention to music, with a fairly good dynamic
range available, for the shortcomings of MP3 to be noticeable.

Personally? I think I am allergic to poor mp3 quality! I am a professional, and I will avoid mp3s whenever possible. they exist for moving files in my book not as a substitution for real sound. When I file for national or international radio markets, its aif if I can choose, and .wav if I do not have a choice...same goes for my music. even if I send anything in mp3, it has been mixed in aif or wav before I compress and that compression is done with care. i firmly have the sort of musical and radio needs to tell the difference smiles. I really should have the real audio on my site compressed again, because quality sound equals big as a house.

Mutt is the usual email program, or (e)pine.

I use a shell service, and am doing this email in pine, we also have alpine here, but pine is and will remain my preference if I can do mail directly from my machine. More than likelihoods will be TELNETTing here to shellworld as I would be doing in dos right now if I had a dsl provider, see previous post.
I am a command line only  girl.

Lynx or Links (elinks) are your basic web browsers.

That's a joke, isn't it? C'mon!
by no means. I use lynx, e-links which is more java script friendly, and links which also has java script abilities when compiled correctly every single day, many times a day. there are few command line options, and those that are out there are fortunately still under development.

The edition of Lynx we have here on shellworld was put here on may of 2012. Lynx is regularly updated and I even have a recent dos edition that I am not using due to the dsl issue. If you are using a screen reader especially, the less graphical the better. I have stated that I use one, which means I have a reason for doing h this, no more need be said. Agreed there are many reasons for speech computing, as unique and individual as those who so choose...I imagine even a few who just want to work faster, since the human brain can process verbally with greater speed than visually.
back to this though.

I do not use the graphical aspects of DOS, because in general those can be a challenge using speech. back to command line browsers though. ebrowse is a fourth option, but I have not tried it yet. Unfortunately there has been little energy put into command line browsers that insure greater access to those using adaptive technology for whatever reason.
it is a shame though since this can help with mobile platforms as well.
Would love to interest someone with the talent in this, as there can be funding for it now...the development I mean

More importantly though the w3c guidelines for those experiencing disabilities ties suggest site construction that insures browsers like lynx can still do the job.
Internet super highway should include no matter the car.
Karen