Re: books on debian of a beginner nature?

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:22:25 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 18:02 +0100, keith wrote:
> > Midnight Commander (MC) is your friend for file management &
> > editing.
>
> Are you serious?

Why not? I use it on (GUI-less) servers and also when I need a file
manager/editor working as root on my GUI workstation. Admin work rarely
needs a heavyweight editor, and it's easier to avoid mistakes if I
associate the sparse mc screen with root and GUI file managers with
non-root working.

> > .mp3
>
> For musicians MP3 crap?

We are aware you have serious musical needs, but most of us don't. For
background listening while working, just about any player will do. You
need to be paying close attention to music, with a fairly good dynamic
range available, for the shortcomings of MP3 to be noticeable.

> > Mutt is the usual email program, or (e)pine.
>
> "Usual MUA" for whom? I won't recommend anything else, even while I'm
> using something different.

Usual for command-liners. Again, on a server, that's what's there, and
I can just about hack mutt well enough to move files around. I'm sure a
few die-hards use mutt on GUI machines for personal correspondence,
but I'm not really one for cold showers and early-morning runs.

> > Lynx or Links (elinks) are your basic web browsers.
>
> That's a joke, isn't it? C'mon!

Yes, I think so. Text web browsers were just about useable ten years
ago, but there are few leisure sites that will work text-only today. On
the other hand, if you're only interested in technical Linux sites, or
man pages for things you don't have installed, (server again..) it's
fine. And if you only have one computer, and X throws a tantrum, it's
the only way of getting Internet help to get it running again.

--
Joe