building and running openGL programs from a schroot

Hello all,

I'd like to use schroots to build and use openGL programs
(openscenegraph, ogre, and some
proprietary scientific software which use these libs) under different releases
of debian/ubuntu, for both 32 and 64 bits.

I've already used schroot before, and I'm quite familiar with it, but
I do not fully understand how
programs from the chroot can open X windows on the host. It always
seemed magical to me.

I could not find any explanation about how, why and when (under which
assumptions) it works.
Many information out there are tutorial which aim at getting things
done but does not explain
the inner workings. Am I missing a good documentation?

I would also like to use 3D acceleration from within the schroot.
However, I fear the drivers in
the schroot would need to match the host kernel, which will be harder,
except when bot are the
same release. My first (quite bold) attempt was unsuccessful for this
reason. Maybe backporting
the drivers is feasible. Again, is any background information on that
matter is available on the
Internet?

Cheers!

-- Sébastien