Re: building and running openGL programs from a schroot

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 12:00:28PM +0200, Sébastien Barthélémy wrote:
> I'd like to use schroots to build and use openGL programs
> (openscenegraph, ogre, and some
> proprietary scientific software which use these libs) under different releases
> of debian/ubuntu, for both 32 and 64 bits.
>
> I've already used schroot before, and I'm quite familiar with it, but
> I do not fully understand how
> programs from the chroot can open X windows on the host. It always
> seemed magical to me.

All you need is to be able to connect to the X server.  So having the
DISPLAY environment variable set and access to the X socket
(/tmp/.X11-unix) is all you need.  For DISPLAY, set
preserve-environment=true or run with -p.  For /tmp, bind mount /tmp in
fstab, or use the "desktop" profile (profile=desktop for 1.5.4 in
unstable, script-config=desktop/config for 1.4.x).  This should be all
you need, IIRC.

> I would also like to use 3D acceleration from within the schroot.
> However, I fear the drivers in
> the schroot would need to match the host kernel, which will be harder,
> except when bot are the
> same release. My first (quite bold) attempt was unsuccessful for this
> reason. Maybe backporting
> the drivers is feasible. Again, is any background information on that
> matter is available on the

Not quite sure why there would be any driver issues here, but I'm
not totally familiar with the OpenGL setup.  You'll naturally be using
the DRM/DRI/KMS/DDX/GLX stuff from the host system, but just running
the application in the chroot.  Not sure if there's any requirement for
drivers here unless there's some mesa-related bits that need to match.
But since GLX should work over a network, it should work in a chroot.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh