Re: Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Sat 26 May 2012 at 15:53:03 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Sat, 26 May 2012 16:26:34 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > But at least you have discarded "PostScript is a raw language, no
> > conversion is needed between the doc and the printer . . . ." as a
> > reason and accept the filter chain is
> >
> >    PDF file ---> PS file ---> CUPS ---> PDF file
> >
> > Is it a comfort getting back to where you started?
>
> "No conversion is needed" because the printer understands the PostScript
> language, it's not device dependant. I don't know how to express it
> better but is not that hard to understand.
>
> > I have a feeling you may have returned to "PostScript is a raw language,
> > no conversion is needed between the doc and the printer . . . ." idea.
> > Hope I'm wrong.
>
> No, you're not, . . .

Taking this statement, and the previous one, it is evident you are
basing an argument on the behaviour of a filtering method in CUPS which
has not existed in Debian (and Redhat and Suse) for at least three
years. We have different understandings, which make it impossible to
compare two different conclusions in a meaningful way. Basically, a
conclusion derived from a view of reality which is wrong is without any
validity.

. . .  but this is not going to help the OP to solve his problem.

He can make his own mind up on that. I'd like think there is enough in
this thread to get him started.