Re: dhclient does not recognize config file

On Thu, 24 May 2012 15:13:13 -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 24 May 2012 07:33:21 -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
>
>>> dhclient in Squeeze pays no attention to the config file
>>> at/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
>
>>How does the file look like? Also, did you restart dhclient after
>>editing the file?
>
> Rebooting does a pretty good job of restarting all programs, including
> daemons. :) This is an ongoing problem through days or use, so yes, it
> gets restarted often.

Oh, okay. I just wanted to be sure the "dhclient" process was aware of
the changes done in the file :-)

>>> All I need it to do is prepend the local host to resolv.conf so
>>> dnscaching will work.
>
>>You mean the "prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1" stanza?
>

> Yes, that's what I tried first. It has absolutely no effect. Then I
> created some specific "interface" entries. Since it left error messages
> in the log when I made mistakes, it is clearly reading the config file.

That was going to be my next question: if the file is being read at all.
As so it seems, then is just that specific line that fails or that has no
visible effect, meaning your "/etc/resolv.conf" file remains the same,
right?

Let me try it in wheezy. Mmm, here it works :-?

I use N-M with a wireless card and I have edited "/etc/dhcp/
dhclient.conf" and set:

prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

Then restarted the NM service ("service network-manager restart") and
checked for the content of "/etc/resolv.conf". The first line now is:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

>>> How do you get dhclient to do anything other than the default
>>> behavior?
>
>>Are you using N-M?
>

> No, but I do use wicd. Does that write resolv.conf too? Avahi was
> running on the system,
>
> but I removed it. Also checked for resolvconf and it doesn't show as
> installed even though
>
> there is a resolvconf directory. Is there anything else that might be
> over-writing the file?

Then wicd will be in charge of editing/configuring "/etc/resolv.conf"
like N-M does but I'm not sure what could be the difference here, I mean,
between using N-M or Wicd ... or wait, the difference can also be in the
package version, as I'm on wheezy mine is "4.2.2.dfsg.1-5" while squeeze
has "4.1.1-P1-15+squeeze3"... maybe is that you're hitting a bug? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón