Re: kmail crashes on startup

Am Samstag, 19. Mai 2012 schrieb mark@neidorff.com:
> Hello,

Hi Mark!

> I'm using Mepis (a debian derivative) and I'm using kmail (4.4.4) as my
> e-mail client.  It has been working just fine.
>
> Today, I fixed a couple of filter rules and moved a couple of messages
> from one mailbox to another while the filter dialog was open.  This all
> seems pretty harmless to me.
>
> Since then, whenever I start kmail, it crashes (signal 11).  Trying to
> start it from a terminal gives this output:
> ****begin terminal output *********
> mark@Mark:~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail$ kmail
> Connecting to deprecated signal
[…]
> KUniqueApplication::loadCommandLineOptionsForNewInstance()
> kmail(4323)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
> kmail(4323)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
> mark@Mark:~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail$ *** KMail got signal 11
> (Crashing) KCrash: Application 'kmail' crashing...
> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
> sock_file=/home/mark/.kde/socket-Mark/kdeinit4__0
> ****end terminal output*********

Could be that the config file got broken somehow.

Please try:

mkdir ~/.kde-test
KDEHOME=~/.kde-test kmail

This way kmail will start unconfigured using ~/.kde-test instead of ~/.kde
(easier than to try with another user).

If it comes up this way, then KMail seems to stumble on something in your
current configuration file.

If so, have a look at ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc with a pager and look
whether you see anything unusual. Maybe try to "unfix" your filter rules
again to see if that helps.

If nothing else works and you have no backup of the configuration, you can
still start from scratch.

You can also look whether you can get more debug output with enabling stuff
in kdebugdialog.

Reporting a bug upstream wouldn´t make much sense IMHO, as KMail 4.4.4 is
really outdated and considered obsolete by upstream (replaced by KMail 2
as of KDE SC 4.6 or later)

Ciao,