Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On Sat, 19 May 2012 11:31:51 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 5/19/2012 5:33 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>
>> Yes, I'm really thankful for the recommendation. And somehow I hoped
>> you could jump in and help me :-)
>
> I'm actively working on it, have been for a couple of hours on and off.
>  I'm reading your responses as I go before responding so I hopefully
> don't recommend something you've already tried.  I'm still researching.
>  In the mean time, if you can, go ahead and flash the 9240 with the
> latest firmware, precisely following the instructions.

Should I first flash the new firmware and then test what you describe
below?

I am not very sure if I do the flashing right. Here's what I do:

1. Read the firmware readme file [1]

> Installation:
> =============
> Use MegaCLI to flash the SAS controllers.  MegaCLI can be downloaded
> from the support and download section of www.lsi.com.
>
> Command syntax:  MegaCli -adpfwflash -f imr_fw.rom -a0

So I download the MegaCLI from [2] and read the MegaCLI readme [3]:

> Installation Commands:
> ===================
> 1.	Copy MegaCli.exe to a folder.
> 2.	Run MegaCli from the Command Prompt.  Use -h option to see help
menu.

I create a FreeDOS USB stick with unetbooting. Copy MegaCli.exe and the
imr_fw.rom [4] into a folder on the USB stick, boot it and run the above
command to flash the card?

[1] http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/MegaRAID%20Common%
20Files/20.10.1-0077_SAS_2008_FW_Image_APP-2.120.244-1482.txt

[2] http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/MegaRAID%20Common%
20Files/8.00.40_Dos_Megacli.zip

[3] http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/MegaRAID%20Common%20Files/
README_FOR_8.00.40_Dos_Megacli.zip.txt

[4] http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/MegaRAID%20Common%
20Files/20.10.1-0077_SAS_2008_FW_Image_APP-2.120.244-1482.zip

(...)

>> But I didn't know if it's ok to ask you by name.
>
> I've been doing a "reply-to-all" with each reply, hoping you'd follow
> suit.  This list is very busy thus a reply-all ensures I won't miss your
> posts.

I'm using pan to read the newsgroup where's no reply to all button. But
there's a mail to field which I'm now testing :-)

> Please feel free to address me by name and/or contact me directly off
> list.  I recommended this storage controller/expander solution to you
> and it's not working yet.  I'm not going to leave you twisting in the
> wind.  That's not how I roll. ;)  Besides, look at my RHS domain.  I
> have a reputation to uphold. :)

That's very kind!
I know that everyone here does for free what they do. So I don't want to
ask for someone to spend his/her time for me. But of course I'm really
thankful for every single minute you spend to help me :-)

Best regards
Ramon