Re: Can anyone please reproduce this crash in X on Sid?

On Thu, 17 May 2012 09:22:31 +0100, Anthony wrote in message
<[🔎] 20120517082231.GB5999@acampbell.org.uk>:

> On 17 May 2012, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> >
> > ..ok, what sort of networking do you run?
>
> Just connected via cables with static links.

..ok, and not even dhcp?

> > ..ok, they may both be alive, despite the zero response.
> > No blinkenlight trio? (CapLock+NumLock+ScrollLock LED's)
> >

> Nothing visible when that happens.

..any LED response when you hit any of the lock buttons?
Not even after you yank and plug in the keybord again?

> > > up.
> >
> > ..the 3 tail -f $logfile ideas; 1, over ssh until ssh breaks,
> > 2, over the grub serial console, or, 3, log to your syslog
> > server on your 3'rd box, to capture log files when you try
> > crash X again.
>
> Can you spell this out please? I don/t understand.

..the idea is capture as much log etc debug info as possible,
to another box before the network dies, and I'm not sure which
way will yield us the most debug info, hence the 3 ideas.

..once one or more of these log traps are set up, you crash
X to see what news can be passed on to the bug fixers.

> Incidentally, in the last couple of days I made a second installation
> of Debian on a spare section of disk. In stable everything worked
> correctly, as expected. I upgraded to Testing and it still worked. I
> then upgraded to Sid and the problem reappeared. I really can't
> believe I am the only user finding this. Is it a bug in X on Sid?

..;o)  Sid is AKA unstable, and for a reason, to get the bugs
you find, reported and fixed.

> (I originally reported it as a bug in i3 but it is not confined to
> that wm.)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: