Re: Can anyone please reproduce this crash in X on Sid?

On Wed, 16 May 2012 17:16:21 +0100, Anthony wrote in message
<[🔎] 20120516161621.GA4829@acampbell.org.uk>:

> On 16 May 2012, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > > In both, if I kill the process corresponding to X *from within X*,
> > > either the machine freezes completely (Radeon)
> >
> > ..how?  Ssh too freezes?  It no longer responds even to ping etc?
>
> Yes, no response to ping.
>
> > ..are these 2 boxes on wicd etc style networking that dies
> > with X and the desktop?
> >

> Nothing like that is running.

..ok, what sort of networking do you run?

> > > or shuts down completely (Nouveau),
> >
> > ..it powers off???
>
> The computer is still running but the screen is dead. Whereas, with
> the Radeon machine, the screen is still lit with the WM background
> showing.

..ok, they may both be alive, despite the zero response.
No blinkenlight trio? (CapLock+NumLock+ScrollLock LED's)

> > > If I kill it from a tty terminal there is no problem.
> >
> > ..and what happens if you try to kill X over ssh from the other box?
>
> That works too. It's closing from within X itself that locks things
> up.

..the 3 tail -f $logfile ideas; 1, over ssh until ssh breaks,
2, over the grub serial console, or, 3, log to your syslog
server on your 3'rd box, to capture log files when you try
crash X again.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: