Re: Questions about Netatalk running on Debian server

On 20120509_012529, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> > On 20120506_230937, Paul E Condon wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a long and troubled relation to Netatalk.  I live in a family
> >> where everyone else loves the Mac, and I have a need to communicate
> >> with them. I once had netatalk running on Debian back in 2004, I
> >> think, but lost that ability about the time my daughter bought her
> >> first MacBook in 2006. I'm revisiting the problem now using an i386
> >> box running Wheezy.
> >>
> >> I've installed netatalk from a Debian repository and started looking
> >> at /usr/share/doc/netatalk and the looking for a man page. The
> >> .../doc/netatalk files all date from 2010 or earlier, which is well
> >> before the version of netatalk in Wheezy was released. There is not
> >> 'man netatalk', but there is a 'man netatalk.conf', and that page
> >> begins with:
> >>
> >> " SYNOPSIS
> >>        /etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf "
> >>
> >> But no such file was installed by the netatalk package, and I can find
> >> no mention of netatalk.conf at .../doc/netatalk/
> >>
> >> According to Aptitude, the version of netatalk that I installed
> >> is 2.2.2-1. From searching the web, I pick up statements that
> >> things do work in it that never worked before. But I can't see
> >> anything different in the documentation. I remember that, when I
> >> did have it working long ago, I didn't have to do anything in
> >> order to have it advertise its services and to have it actually
> >> serve files. My problems then were with serving a printer. Now I
> >> use CUPS for that. But I don't see my Macs picking up an advert.
> >> (They do pickup adverts from one of the Macs, so I know that they
> >> are listening.)
> >>
> >> So, my questions:
> >>
> >> Does anyone have netatalk 2.2.2-1 working under Wheezy?  Can you point
> >> me to some debugging instructions?  Or, can you lead me through some
> >> tests to discover what is going wrong?
> > I posted this, below, a couple of days ago. I'm hoping to find someone
> > who follows this list and who actually has netatalk v. 2.2.2-1
> > installed from the Debian package in Wheezy. I would very much like to
> > get it working, but ... I can't. All the documentation that I can find
> > is two or more years old, and does not pertain to the packaged
> > version.
> >
> > P.S. Thanks Tom, but I need more than the fact that
> > /etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf once existed as part of an earlier version
> > of the package. It may still be part of a properly configured
> > netatalk, but it doesn't seem to be included in this package.
>
> Please bottom-post.
>
> You misunderstood. I said that I remember that the config files on
> Debian are "/etc/default/netatalk" and /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf".
> Perhaps I should've also said that I remember
> "/etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf" to be the Fedora equivalent of
> "/etc/default/netatalk".

Thanks, Tom.

I certainly did misunderstand, and calling it to my attention is much
appreciated. I my defense, I note that the package does add to the man
pages a page for netatalk.conf, and that man page does say it is
located in /etc/netatalk/, which begs the question, What is a default?
In other places than Debian, default behavior of a program is the way
it behaves if there is not a configuration file. Live and learn.

Thanks.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net