Re: netinst.iso - a "learning experience"- Part 1 grub

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 08:30 +0200, an unknown sender wrote:
> b. Can I do anything at this point to allow choice to boot
> Windows?

The menu is in /boot/grub/grub.cfg (GRUB 2) or /boot/grub/menu.lst (GRUB
Legacy).
You don't need to know what Windows you have installed, since it's done
by chainloading. This is from my menu.lst:

#title Windows
#rootnoverify (hd0,0)
#makeactive
#chainloader +1

Of cause, you need to uncomment it, IOW remove the "#"s.

If you use GRUB 2, more likely for a default Debian install ;), than
perhaps running "update-grub" with root privileges might add Windows
automatically to grub.cfg. If not, I would recommend to switch to GRUB
Legacy, since for a beginner it's easier to handle. You directly will
edit menu.lst and it's including out-commented examples, such as the
Windows chainload.

- Ralf