Re: How do I remove a bad file??

On Wed, 2 May 2012 07:04:55 +0200, Jochen wrote in message
<[🔎] 20120502050455.GA25123@well-adjusted.de>:

> Dennis Wicks:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I have a file that looks like the following in an ls list;
> >
> > -????????? ? ?    ?             ?                ? Inbox.msf
> >
> > I can't do anything with it. Can't mv, rm, cp, or anything else I
> > have thought of to get rid of it or write over it.
> >
> > Any ideas how I can get this thing out of my life??
>
> Fsck the filesystem.

..first, umount it right _now!_

..if Inbox.msf is your email, you will now learn why, how etc
back-ups are nice.  And you _may_ want to learn how to retrieve
bad data tha's been removed by fsck to save the file system.

..depending on how valuable your data is, be careful, "fsck \
-N /dev/bad.disk.part" is a safe start if you're in a hurry,
it makes you slow down and verify you understood "man fsck".

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: