Re: [OT] Mails coming from "joe1assistly@gmail.com"

El 2012-05-01 a las 11:04 -0500, Indulekha escribió:

(sending back to the list)

> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 11:27:06AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> >
> > Maybe is that I missed something but AFAIK, Debian does not have a
> > mail2news gateway, at least nothing that's official. What people do to
> > read the mailing lists from a newsreader is using a NNTP server or using
> > Google Groups (which I don't recommend).
> >

> Apparently you don't have nntp access to actual usenet then?
> There is def a newsgroup, linux.debian.user, which is on usenet.
> It uses a mail2news gateway to duplicate this list, and it's
> what I was using to read it. Someone thought it would be a good idea
> to have cutesy headers, which break threading if you reply to this list
> via that group. As I'd actually read this group there for over a year
> before attempting to reply, that annoyed the living hell out of me.

Is not that... yes, I'm using "linux.debian.user" but what happens is
that Debian mailing lists are, well, "mailing lists", there's no native
NNTP server managing the posts, they have to be converted from/to
e-mail/news so what we (you and me) are using is more like an hybrid,
in the end whatever handles the posts have to talk with a mailing list
server software, not a "news" server and here is where the mess starts
;-)

> > Setting up Gmane (or another news server) is plain easy, I mean, for the
> > client side. Another thing would be you have to configure you own nntp
> > server as a local cache but that's another story...
> >

> Been using news.individual.net for years now, at times with leafnode.
> The issue is "let usenet work as it always did".
> I fondly remember the days when usenet was actually informative and
> useful. Yes, I'm old and sometimes quite cranky...
> :)

I did not use Usenet, I started at the times of IRC and then mailing
lists and forums but after having used both systems (nntp and mailing
lists) I still consider the former a must for todays "one-to-many"
communication system.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón