Re: [OT] Mails coming from "joe1assistly@gmail.com"

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 20:11:36 -0500, Indulekha wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 05:06:51PM -0500, Indulekha wrote:
>>
>> [caution: rant ahead]
>>
>> Argh -- I already *have* usenet access through NiN, and a very nicely
>> detailed slrn config -- debian's list people should use a more
>> competent mail2news gateway that doesn't suck and break threading,
>> period full stop. This annoys the bejeepers out of me. To use gmane I
>> have to figure out how to run 2 nntpervers, what a royal PITA. Why do
>> they bother with creating the usenet group linux.deian.user and then
>> break interoperability with the list from which the group is derived?!
>>
>> [/rant]

Maybe is that I missed something but AFAIK, Debian does not have a
mail2news gateway, at least nothing that's official. What people do to
read the mailing lists from a newsreader is using a NNTP server or using
Google Groups (which I don't recommend).

>> Bah, I'll go have a cup of tea then maybe I'll face up to implementing
>> this silly "gmane" kludge that absolutely should not be necessary.
>> Damned frustrating. Or mMaybe I'll just subscribe the normal way and
>> spend ridiculously long times loading my mail across this pitiful
>> dialup connection. I'll have to think on it.
>>
>> Anyway, thanks Camaleón for pointing me at that website (which
>> absolutely should not be necessary).

?

Setting up Gmane (or another news server) is plain easy, I mean, for the
client side. Another thing would be you have to configure you own nntp
server as a local cache but that's another story...

> Ok, so I subscribed the "normal" way, and I'll just periodically purge
> the mails to avoid waiting for 857,000 emails to load over dialup. I
> don't like it though, and it really strikes me as incredibly obvious
> that there's just no excuse for the silliness of no header
> interoperability between the mailing list and the usenet group.
> Apparently for the sake of someone's ego being tickled by having "bofh"
> in their custom headers. Flippin' weenie...
>
> Glad I got that off my chest, I feel better now. :)

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean nor what you are doing :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón