Re: Installing packages from Wheezy in Squeeze

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 05:40:24PM +0000, James Allsopp wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there an easy way of installing a package (namely virtinst) from
> Wheezy in Squeeze? I've tried variations of
> aptitude install -t wheezy virtinst
> and
> aptitude install virtinst/wheezy
>
> but with no joy, It goes through the start process but says there's
> nothing to update or upgrade
> Thanks,
> James

You need to have some repo defined under /etc/apt/sources.list{,d/}
such as your query works.

I usually have the precompiled binaries in one repo and the sources
in another, to ease backporting:

deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ sid main non-free contrib

--
Primary key fingerprint: AD8F BDC0 5A2C FD5F A179  60E7 F79B AB04 5299 EC56