Re: changing window managers in debian 6.0.4

On 04/25/2012 05:10 PM, Dan Hitt wrote:
Thanks Camaleón and Johan for your suggestions.

For reference, here's what happened:

Camaleón: i did try the update-alternatives path, including the
--display option to check.  It reports wmaker, but has no
effect otherwise that i can tell.

The idea of choosing a window manager a login time is
intriguing, but for my system (6.0.4 "squeeze") there
doesn't seem to be an option to do this.

Johan: I tried the gui method you suggested for changing
the wm (and i believe your path was correct).  This time there
was an effect, but not much and sort of the wrong one :(
What happened was that the screen drawing shifted upwards,
as if it were no longer taking into account the menu bar along
the top of the entire screen.   So a few things had their top
parts hidden by this shift, but none of the wmaker stuff seemed
to be present.

But it is very valuable nevertheless --- i imagine that i have to
disable the entire gnome apparatus somehow (but don't know
whether wmaker is savvy enough to manage under those
circumstances).

Thanks in advance for any other advice anybody may have.

(Is anybody actually using WindowMaker on this list?  Maybe
my problem is i'm posting to the wrong list?  :)  But thanks
everybody for your help because you certainly are very helpful!)

Yes, but I also have fluxbox, blackbox, icewm, openbox and twm installed
and have not used the alternatives, ever to get them running.  Long ago
I installed them to see which one I liked and they are still installed.

I use,mainly fluxbox and it has a Windows Manager option that shows all tha WM's I have installed. I, not very often, switch to one of the others but always end up using fluxbox. I have some gnome apps but never loaded it up after seeing what it looked like in Ubuntu. So my way of setting the WM's may not work unless you dump Gnome.

Hope this helps

Wayne