Re: changing window managers in debian 6.0.4

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 02:10:03PM -0700, Dan Hitt wrote:
> Thanks Camaleón and Johan for your suggestions.
>
> For reference, here's what happened:
>
> Camaleón: i did try the update-alternatives path, including the
> --display option to check.  It reports wmaker, but has no
> effect otherwise that i can tell.
>
> The idea of choosing a window manager a login time is
> intriguing, but for my system (6.0.4 "squeeze") there
> doesn't seem to be an option to do this.
>
> Johan: I tried the gui method you suggested for changing
> the wm (and i believe your path was correct).  This time there
> was an effect, but not much and sort of the wrong one :(
> What happened was that the screen drawing shifted upwards,
> as if it were no longer taking into account the menu bar along
> the top of the entire screen.   So a few things had their top
> parts hidden by this shift, but none of the wmaker stuff seemed
> to be present.
>
> But it is very valuable nevertheless --- i imagine that i have to
> disable the entire gnome apparatus somehow (but don't know
> whether wmaker is savvy enough to manage under those
> circumstances).
>
> Thanks in advance for any other advice anybody may have.
>
> (Is anybody actually using WindowMaker on this list?  Maybe
> my problem is i'm posting to the wrong list?  :)  But thanks
> everybody for your help because you certainly are very helpful!)
>
> dan

On Squeeze, which uses GDM3, you need to enter your login name before
the option to change your "session" appears.  Once you choose a
different window manager, that will be the default for that user.

I use Fluxbox, and GDM3 logs me into a Fluxbox session every time.  I
did not change anything with the update-alternatives command (mostly
because the other users on this system default to Gnome).

-Rob