Re: changing window managers in debian 6.0.4

Dan Hitt <dan.hitt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks in advance for any other advice anybody may have.
>
> (Is anybody actually using WindowMaker on this list?  Maybe
> my problem is i'm posting to the wrong list?  :)  But thanks
> everybody for your help because you certainly are very helpful!)

I was using wmaker until maybe two years ago, but it seems to have
fallen behind to the point it just doesn't play well with a lot
of modern software anymore.
Now I use fvwm, but frankly configuration is not for the impatient
or the faint of heart. Openbox is nearly as powerful as fvwm, and
is a lot easier to configure, though it's too late for me --
I'm now hopelessly addicted to the power and flexibility of fvwm.
Then again I'm one of those weirdos who actually *enjoys* staying
up all night reading man and info pages. :) There used to be a couple
of preconfigured versions of fvwm, one called "95" (hideous win95-
like config), and one called "crystal" (too bloaty and overwrought
for me last I tried it). Not sure if those are even still around
though...

Openbox just uses an xml config file, so it's actually quite
simple to configure once you find a good example or two. Could be
better documented, but all settings are somewhat discoverable
(the obconf gui doesn't even begin to cover what you can achieve).

--
 Indulekha