Re: how to retrieve info from a bad disk?

On 21/04/12 11:22 AM, abdelkader belahcene wrote:
hi,
I have a disk ( I tera Bytes it contains important data!!!) formatted with nfts, somebody used it in wind$ a virus seems destroy "something" in partition table ???

Now no access is possible, although the partition is recognized as /dev/sdb1 with correct sie, but no possibility to
retive files.
I tried   ntfs-3g    /dev/sdb1  t         gave   segmentaion fault
I tried testdisk it analysed the disk and gathered the data, I tried to list the files , it gave same error as ntfs-3g, I mean segmentation fault??

Is there  another rescue software ??
thanks for help

regards

Firstly, copy the entire disk to another one of the same or larger size by booting from a live distro such as sysrecuecd and using dd (e.g. dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb).

Secondly, using the copy of the disk, try to rescue the disk using testdisk. This may reconstruct the partition table. If it doesn't work, you can try photorec to recover files. For photorec, recover the files to a third disk, not to the original or copy.