Re: how to retrieve info from a bad disk?

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:22:14 +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:

> hi,

Hi... but please, no html posts, thanks.

> I have a disk ( I tera Bytes  it contains important data!!!)  formatted
> with nfts,
> somebody used it in wind$   a virus  seems destroy "something" in
> partition table  ???

Being a closed source filesystem, NTFS is something Windows should care
about, not Linux >;-)

> Now no access is possible, although the partition is recognized as
> /dev/sdb1  with correct sie, but no possibility to retive files.

What does Windows say? Have you tried to attach the disk to a Windows
system?

> I tried   ntfs-3g    /dev/sdb1  t         gave   segmentaion fault

You tried "what"??

> I tried  testdisk        it   analysed the disk and gathered the
> data,   I tried to list the files ,    it gave same error as ntfs-3g, I
> mean segmentation fault??

The exact error and the steps you followed are very important.

> Is there  another rescue software ??
> thanks for help

I used to get good results to recover data from a NTFS partition using
Piriform's Recuva software, for Windows, of course. But better if you
work with an image of the disk instead the original source to avoid
"moving" and so making the recovery process more difficult, if you
finally erased the data.

Anyway, testdisk is one of the most complete tools to repair broken/lost
partition tables or data recovery.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón