Re: fsck forced when using /sbin/shutdown

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 21:19:09 +0200, Steven Post wrote:

> I have this really annoying problem when I shutdown the machine using
> sudo /sbin/shutdown -h +1
> The machine seems to properly shutdown, but I always (at least I think)
> get the message that a filesystem contains errors and needs to be
> checked. When I use the shutdown option in Gnome, the system boots fine
> without the fsck.

And is it true that there were errors? What does the "fsck" log say?

I wonder what difference can be in shutting down from GNOME and doing it
from the command line, mmm... >:-?

> This is really annoying, especially as both / and /boot are on an SSD,
> the system that is checked is always another rotational hard disk
> mounted on /home.
>
> The problem started when I reinstalled Debian Wheezy on the new SSD,
> using the AMD64 architecture. At the same time I got rid of an old,
> unused, partition on the HDD and extended the existing ext4 partition to
> include the newly claimed space. All this using the Debian installer.
> Before the reinstall the system was running Wheezy on the i386
> architecture and the now extended partition was already used as /home,
> it was not changed other then extending it.
>
> Any ideas?

One dumb idea, yup.

Before you shutdown the system from command line, logout from your
current GNOME session, go to a tty and then run the shutdown sequence
from there. Is the "fsck" still coming up when you boot?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón