Re: Upgrading to an SSD

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:07:46AM +0100, Paul Lewis wrote:
> On 20/04/12 09:43:50, Darac Marjal wrote:
> > If not, you might want to consider making a new LV (perhaps
> > shrinking one of your other partitions and reclaiming some of that
> > 200GB free space) for root.
>
> To address my immediate problem of low disk space on root and given
> that root does appear to be on the lvm, I could do that now?
>
> For example, shrink /home and reallocate the freed space to /root?

Your root is on LVM.

If have free (unallocated) space in your LVM volume group (check the output of
'vgs' as root to confirm), you can grow your root logical volume via

   lvextend -L+XG /dev/kingston/root # where 'X' is a number of GB e.g. 5
   resize2fs /dev/kingston/root # assuming you are using ext3 or ext4 filesystem

If you don't have free space in your volume group, you will need to reclaim
some, somehow.  Shrinking filesystems is not trivial.