Re: Upgrading to an SSD

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 09:22:23AM +0100, Paul Lewis wrote:
> I like to try out one of the newish Solid State drives. What has
> prompted this is that my machine has started to complain about low disk
> space on /root.
>
> Using disk analyser I can see there is loads of free disk space.
>
> This is a 250GB drive but only 22GB is actually being used. Suggesting
> to me that I could easily shoehorn my whole operating system (including
> home partition ) into one of the cheapish 64GB ss drives.
>
> I'd like to convert my existing hard drive to hold media from the TTV
> reciever and perhaps reinstall MythTV absent for a year or so.
>
> Here is my concern. When I installed this system I elected to encrypt
> the drive and use lvm.
>
> 1. I'd like to avoid 'root' full errors in future.

Is your root partition on the LVM? If not, you might want to consider
making a new LV (perhaps shrinking one of your other partitions and
reclaiming some of that 200GB free space) for root. You could then boot
into a LiveCD, rsync from the old root partition to the new partition
and then update bootloader, fstab etc. Et Voila, you're booting from
root on LVM. Next time root gets full, add a few extents to it.

> 2. Assuming I have my SSD installed and formatted, what would be the
> best, simplest and most trouble free process to move everything from my
> existing hard drive to the new SSD?

You might be able to do this online by creating a PV on the SSD, add it
to your VG and then use "pvmove" to migrate LVs between the disks.