Re: Upgrading to an SSD

On 20/04/12 09:43:50, Darac Marjal wrote:

> > Here is my concern. When I installed this system I elected to
> > encrypt the drive and use lvm.
> >
> > 1. I'd like to avoid 'root' full errors in future.
>
> Is your root partition on the LVM?

I think it is, running LVM and selecting logical view it looks as if
root is /dev/kingston/root.

In the physical view root is described as linear mapping 83 extents.

> If not, you might want to consider making a new LV (perhaps
> shrinking one of your other partitions and reclaiming some of that
> 200GB free space) for root.

To address my immediate problem of low disk space on root and given
that root does appear to be on the lvm, I could do that now?

For example, shrink /home and reallocate the freed space to /root?

> You could then boot into a LiveCD, rsync from the old root
> partition to the new partition and then update bootloader, fstab
> etc. Et Voila, you're booting from root on LVM. Next time root gets
> full, add a few extents to it.
>

> > 2. Assuming I have my SSD installed and formatted, what would be
> > the best, simplest and most trouble free process to move
> > everything from my existing hard drive to the new SSD?
>
> You might be able to do this online by creating a PV on the SSD, add
> it to your VG and then use "pvmove" to migrate LVs between the
> disks.

Would it be a problem if the new SSD is much smaller than the original
HD?

Thanks

News is what somebody somewhere wants to suppress; all the rest is just
advertising.

Lord Northcliffe