From: Bob Proulx [mailto:bob@proulx.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:01 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: How do Install debian kernel without updating to latest kernel image

Richard Hector wrote:
> Sarveshwar.Bandi@Emulex.Com wrote:
> > I am trying to install different versions of Debian from Debian
> > install CDs. For example Debian 6.0.0, 6.0.3 and 6.0.4. After
> > installing any of CDs I see the debian_version is showing as 6.0.4.

> Isn't there an option, during the apt setup, to not use
> security.debian.org for security updates? I guess you might need the
> 'expert' install option for that (I always use it, so I don't know
> what's left out if you don't). Or even don't plug it into the network
> at all.

If you are installing from CD then don't use a network.  Unplug the network and install offline.  That will guarentee you the versions are only from the CD.  After installation remove any networked locations from /etc/apt/sources.list.  Because otherwise any installations or upgrades will pull in the latest versions from the reposities.

> Of course you'd need full CDs; I imagine netinst ones will always need
> to download packages, and so will get current ones.

Of course the netinstall disk will need a network.

> >I want to install each of these versions and be able to build my
> >driver against them. So I also need the linux kernel header for the
> >specific version of debian and kernel sources too.
>
> But also, why do you need to support outdated (potentially insecure)
> kernels?

That does seem like a strange time machine request.

Bob