Re: installing emacs on debian 6.0.4

Thank you Bob!

This works, now i have emacs, and i can leave vi alone until
the next time i have to install something.

Now, here are some more particular details in answer to
your questions and advice (and also, in case somebody
is doing a search and stumbles across this thread).

(1) As to why i had the naquadah lines: when i first
installed debian, i could not install emacs.  So i
did some net research, and i guess went off on a wild
tangent based on some bug reports somewhere.  But
they are commented out now (and didn't quite work
anyway, since i had those unmet dependencies).

(2) I put in all the lines you recommended, including the
optional ones (backports and mozilla).  When i did
   sudo apt-get update
i got an error linked to the backports:
W: GPG error: http://mozilla.debian.net squeeze-backports Release: The
following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is
not available: NO_PUBKEY 85A3D26506C4AE2A

However, the command exited with status 0, and it didn't seem
to interfere with getting emacs.

(I'm assuming that i need to do something with apt-key to fix this problem.)

(3) I could not install emacs-el (E: Unable to locate package
emacs-el), so i assume that the spelling isn't exactly right.

But all the other packages (including the goodies) did install.

(4) Finally, as to how i got the /etc/apt/sources.list:

I installed from DVD, but did not configure the network at
installation time (because i don't have DHCP and i didn't want to
hardwire in an ip address [as i'm behind DSL]).

So the sources.list was full of dvd lines, but the network lines were
commented out,
typically saying "Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:".

So i just commented out all of the dvd lines, and uncommented all the
network lines
(http or ftp).

And there was no "ftp.us.debian.org" anywhere in the file.

Thanks again for your help, which really was a relief, besides being so speedy.

dan