Re: How to retrieve package source from arbitrary repository

Am 12.04.2012 19:00, schrieb Bob Proulx:
> Malte Forkel wrote:
>>>   Dir::Etc::SourceList "$cnf_dir/sources.list";
>>>   Dir::State::Lists "$cache_dir/lists";
>>>   Dir::Cache "$cache_dir/cache";
>>
>> In lieu of a specialized tool, that's a very clever idea. I just wonder:
>> How can I make sure nothing strange happens because another process uses
>> apt-get during the source list redirection, i.e. after the first and
>> before the second update? Or is that paranoid?
>
> If you set up the above options then you will be working in your own
> private sandbox.  Then it won't matter.
>
> Bob

Just wanted to say thanks for your good advice and report on what I did.

Using an APT sandbox made things pretty simple. I can directly use the
apt-get commands 'source' and 'download' after setting up the temporary
source list. With the --simulate option for the initial apt-get update,
the script works for non-root users as well. And as far as I can tell, I
don't need the closing update, because the system-wide source list is
not changed.

Malte