Re: grub failed to boot after updagre

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:27:40 -0300
> David Roguin <nesdavid@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I´m running wheezy and after a typical dist-upgrade grub doesn't want
>> to boot. It seems that grub can't find the partitions.
>> Anyone else has this same problem?
>> I have dual boot, sharing macosx and debian wheezy and never had this
>> problem before.
>>

> Happens regularly in sid.
>
> Was grub itself updated? A few weeks ago it was updated in sid, and the
> new version was sufficiently different from the previous first-stage
> bootloader that it didn't work. After a grub update, it is necessary
> to do a grub-install to re-write the MBR or partition bootloader.
>
> In January, there were a few kernel upgrades which apparently didn't
> call update-grub, with the same result.
>
> Either way, you boot into your system manually, after trying several
> sets of instructions found on the Net. Once you're there, try
> update-grub, or grub-install if you see there's been a recent grub
> update.

Hi,

There's a recent grub update, from version 1.99-17 to 1.99-21. I've tried to recover the system doing grub-install and grub-update, even though those commands ran successfully grub keeps telling me that it can't find the root partition when trying to boot.

As i'm using a macbookpro I can't install grub on the MBR but grub-install -f /dev/sda4.

Any thoughts?

--
David