Re: difficult to isolate problem - browser access to router has problems on on machine but not other

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 07:34:55 +0930, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Camaleón wrote, on 15/04/12 23:43:

(...)

>> Are you accessing to the router web interface using the same browser
>> from both machines? What's the browser that gets stuck after the login
>> screen?
>
> Yes, gtklauncher from libwebkit on each machine.

Mmm, I don't know the capabilities of "gtklauncher" but if it works on
one computer it should also work in the other.

Are there any differences between both computer environments (e.g., same
package version of "libwebkit"?). Also, 32 and 64 bits package versions
can make a difference so to discard any bug or incompatibility problem
with "gtklauncher" I would try with a different browser.

> I've saved wireshark traces from both machines.

As it gets stuck after login, more than a connectivity issue I would go
for a management issue, I mean, the browser cannot handle the client
request and this can be caused by many sources (bad web interface
programming, cookies, javascript error...).

>> Well, you can check if the router provides a telnet/ssh access
>> alternative and manage it from there. I find CLI modes of these devices
>> are most stable and reliable than their web interface.
>
> It does have a telnet interface, but that interface doesn't offer any
> management capabilities.

In my experience, it uses to be the opposite: while CLI provides all of
the settings that can be tweaked, the web GUI only gives the user the
possibility to configure the basics and hides the rest :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón