Re: Re: Bonded network: "No route to host" between slaves

Seyyed Mohtadin Hashemi wrote:
> I have a question though: The server is connected to the internet via eth0
> (it gets IP from external DHCP server), will i be able to connect to the
> br0 from the eth0?

Yes.  You didn't show that part of your configuration.  I expect it
will have a default gateway?

Also, you included all of netmask, network, and broadcast lines in
your configuration.  Only the netmask is needed and the other two will
be calculated from it.  That is better because the machine will
compute the correct numbers whereas including them redundantly open a
mistake in calculation.  Also less is simpler and simpler is better.

> (br0 is going to consist of eth1 and eth2) interfaces
> will then look:
>
> iface eth1 inet manual
> iface eth2 inet manual
>
> auto br0
> iface br0 inet static
>     bridge_ports eth1 eth2
>     address 10.1.1.1
>     broadcast 10.1.1.255
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     gateway 10.1.1.1
>     bridge_stp off
>     bridge_fd 0
>     bridge_maxwait 0

Again, please remove the broadcast line since it is redundant over the
netmask line and is calculated from it.

Here you have added a gateway that was not present before.  If you
are accessing the internet through eth0 as you said above them you
should have a gateway for that interface eth0 and not here.  Remove
the gateway from the br0 configuration.  I think something like this
where I will use 'dhcp' for the eth0 configuration but it would of
course be whatever you need for that.

  allow-hotplug eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

  iface eth1 inet manual
  iface eth2 inet manual

  auto br0
  iface br0 inet static
  	  bridge_ports eth1 eth2
  	  address 10.1.1.1
  	  netmask 255.255.255.0
  	  bridge_stp off
  	  bridge_fd 0
  	  bridge_maxwait 0

> Is it possible to bridge with a third NIC (eth3)?

Yes.  If I recall correctly you can bridge up to 255 devices.

> I'm just asking because i had planned to connect a third computer to
> the server.

This is possible but not optimal nor convenient.

You are using a separate network interface card for each computer?
Why?  It be simpler to use a network switch.  Instead of using a
point to point interface for each computer I suggest that you use a
network switch for the entire subnet.  That is much simpler and easier
and is the normal thing to do.

Is there some reason that you are choosing not to use a switch that
you haven't told us about?

Bob