Re: RAID1 does not boot

El 2012-04-09 a las 00:26 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

> > 1/ Are you using GRUB legacy or GRUB 2? I already asked you this but you
> > still have not replied to this question (or I don't
> remember). It is
>
> well i haven't check the version of it as i am on weekend off so ill
> check back about the version of grub and come to you with the details.
>  but i am using lenny with default grub  so i think lenny has the GRUB
> legacy not Grub 2. however ill check the version and will let you know

I don't recall the default GRUB for Lenny, I installed GRUB Legacy in
my Lennys but I don't remember if GRUB Legacy was still the default
option there... You have to check it.

> > important to know what's your GRUB's version as both versions differ a
> > lot.
> >
> > 2/ "update-grub" is not used to upgrade GRUB legacy to
> GRUB 2, it's a
> > routine used to reconciliate/populate the changes you've made in your
> > menu or configuration files (read "man update-grub" if you need detailed
> > info on what it does).
> >
> ok ill check out the detail of update-grub

Despite its name, it basically updates the menu entries based on the
information it finds.

> > 3/ Are you running Lenny or Squeeze? Lenny is not supported anymore (no
> > security patches) so installing lenny -unless you have a specific
> > requirement for doing so- is a bad move and a waste of time... you should
> > reconsider getting squeeze instead.
> >

> ok bro very informative i already knew the consequences of using old
> version but for finding good solutions online i thought that lenny
> would be a better option but as i have already got a good and better
> understanding with linux Black screen :P command console now i am good
> to go with Squeeze as well.
>
> ok ill install Squeeze as instructed sir :). on Monday.

Good. And never ever choose an OS based on the number of articles or
the information it is referenced in the web. That's just a crazy
approach >:-)

> > 4/ You will have to confront GRUB 2 sooner or later :-)
>
> ok as i dont have any senior with me to support and anything happens
> bad or good i will be responsible because what i have learned so far
> about linux is from you guys. so your higher support would be needed.
> :) because i never used Grub 2 i dont know how tough it is going to be
> if i use GRUB 2 but i know linux is a very stable OS and will not
> create problems for me . so i am planning to install grub 2 and
> Squeeze. wish me good luck :)

GRUB 2 is now in a good shape and as many people is using nowadays, you
are covered in this regard :-). I also feared the transition from GRUB
legacy to GRUB 2 but I barely have to play with the bootloader and I
have a plain disk configuration layout so I still haven't experiences any
problem with GRUB 2.

> > So you're running Lenny... then sir, I'm sorry to say this but you really
> > should reconsider reinstalling your full system with squeeze (current
> > Debian stable) and now that you still have not started to install
> > packages I'd say is the best time for doing it.
> >

> ok bro as per your suggession you give me the confidence for moving
> one step ahead. i would be needing you help in this regard.

Ask whatever you want. I skipped Squeeze (still with Lenny here) but
I'm planning to install Wheezy when is released.

> Thanks for the support ill come back to you after the installation of
> Sqeeze and grub 2 . With RAID ONE.

Yup. Remember that you still have to install GRUB2 in both disks to be
able to boot from either of them.

> if you have Gmail Google talk or any messenger. server that would be
> great and helpful to talk i promise i will not bother i have good
> experience of network handling . what i need is just a push. if stuck.
> it would be very kind if you let me

I prefer to stick to the mailing list because everybody else will
benefit for the questions you ask the the replies you get. Anyway, I'm
far to be what it can be call as an "Internet social" person, I don't
have/use blogs, IM, facebook, twitter or something like that :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón