Re: RAID1 does not boot

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 13:31:15 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>> Thank you every one for helping me. actually i followed and read every
>> thing but just "grub install /dev/sdb"
>>  alone didn't help
>
> What was the ouput for the above command? Maybe it returned an error but
> we can't know.

Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/sdb

>> i also run some commands in grub as well
>>
>> grub install /dev/sda (not necessary )
>> grub install /dev/sdb
>
> Careful. Remember that you have swapped the disks in the BIOS, so ensure
> that your "/dev/sda" is still your first disk and "/dev/sdb" is the
> second.
>
>> grub
>> grub> root (hd0,0)
>> grub> setup (hd0)
>> grub> root (hd1,0)
>> grub> setup (hd1)
>> grub> quit
>
> I warned you about not copy/paste (grrr...) >>:-)
of-course i didn't copy paste :)

> The above will only work if these two apply:
>
> - You have GRUB legacy (GRUB2 partitions now start at "1" instead "0")
> - Your "/boot" partition is located in the first partition of the first/
> second disk
ok Thanks, ill read on that.

> Are both points matching your installation?
yes they did but at the stage when i was playing with the drives by
plugging them on and off the RAID started some problem then i remove
the drive from RAID (the faulty one) mdadm command and re-added  the
partition to md0 and md1 and that worked for me.

>> Thank Camaleón. your links literally helped me a lot. :)
>
> You're welcome, but let's focus on how we can solve the problem now ;-)
Yes sure, as i am very new to linux word however i am a quick learner
ill work on the solving part as well hopefully :)

Thanks mate.