Re: RAID1 does not boot

ok as discussed i updated my machine from lenny to squeeze 6.0.4

my grub version is 1.98.

         root@nas:~# grub-install -v
         grub-install (GRUB) 1.98+20100804-14+squeeze1

is this version 2 ?

now command output as discussed.

         grub-install /dev/sdb
         Installation finished. No error reported.
         grub-install /dev/sda

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Only that information was displayed? I'd would have expected more
>>> ("searching for splash image", "searching for kernel"...), but well, at
>>> a first glance looks right to me, no errors at least.
>>
>> no, it only display the above nothing else.
>
> Weird :-?

now this is the new display after upgrading the OS to 6.0.4
         grub-install /dev/sdb
         Installation finished. No error reported.
         grub-install /dev/sda
         Installation finished. No error reporte

>>> Just in case, try to run "update-grub" and check if that fixes the
>>
>>> booting issue.
>>>

>> ok if i update-grub it means i will shift from grub 1 to 2 maybe so is
>> it going to effect any thing because i haven't work on grub 2 before. i
>> am big time lenny user as i am new and i always look for stable version
>> can grab my hairs for any errors and there are experienced people who
>> can help with lenny.
>
> Wait, wait... let's try to clear some points first.
>
> 1/ Are you using GRUB legacy or GRUB 2? I already asked you this but you
> still have not replied to this question (or I don't remember). It is
> important to know what's your GRUB's version as both versions differ a
> lot.

here we go with the grub version (new one)

root@nas:~# grub-install -v
grub-install (GRUB) 1.98+20100804-14+squeeze1

> 2/ "update-grub" is not used to upgrade GRUB legacy to GRUB 2, it's a
> routine used to reconciliate/populate the changes you've made in your
> menu or configuration files (read "man update-grub" if you need detailed
> info on what it does).
>
> 3/ Are you running Lenny or Squeeze? Lenny is not supported anymore (no
> security patches) so installing lenny -unless you have a specific
> requirement for doing so- is a bad move and a waste of time... you should
> reconsider getting squeeze instead.

now update to Squeeze 6.0.4

> 4/ You will have to confront GRUB 2 sooner or later :-)
>
>>> If you're using GRUB2 I can't understand why the those commands did not
>>> complain given that partition "0" shouldn't exist :-?

still no error as i give the output above.

>> no i think lenny come with grub 1 by default and i am using the default
>> one. what is that complain. can you please explain. i ll update to grub
>> 2 and show you the command output. but are you sure its not going to
>> hurt the running machine because i dont wana conduct the whole
>> installation again :( its a pain.
>
> So you're running Lenny... then sir, I'm sorry to say this but you really
> should reconsider reinstalling your full system with squeeze (current
> Debian stable) and now that you still have not started to install
> packages I'd say is the best time for doing it.

now it is Squeeze 6.0.4