Re: RAID1 does not boot

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:09:53 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

(please, keep a bottom posting style, it reads better)

> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> My guess is that the problem here is booting from the raid volume.

> Thanks, i found out the problem but still i am confused actually i have
> disk 1 and disk 2  with same specs like they both are 320 GB and same
> made. here is my partition flow (because i had tried installation so
> many times so i change the partition structure)
>
> 1. /Boot 1GB (Boot on and on RAID /dev/md0)
> 2. SWAP 4 GB (RAID /dev/md1)
> 3, / (remaining space) (RAID /dev/md2)

So basically you have now included /boot and /swap into the RAID, right?

> now at the end after installation when system rebooted for the first
> time i receive "error loading operating system" actually in BIOS boot
> option i mistakenly selected SATA2 as boot instead of SATA 1. when i
> shift things back i manage to reach grub menu.

Okay, so now you get to GRUB's menu and then, what happens? Can you
finally boot your installed system?

> now the part where i am confuse is that i believed that the computer
> should have booted from SATA2 as well  because boot partition is also
> installed over it too.

(...)

Mmm, IIRC software RAID (mdadm) needs from user intervention (manual
tweaking) when one of the disks goes offline (or you alter the disk order
at the BIOS ;-) ), at least for booting. I mean, you had to install GRUB
in both disks or something like that, I dont't remember the exact steps
but they should be documented...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón