Re: Some KDE apps depend on kdebase-runtime, which is transitional

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:00:12 -0400, Max Hyre wrote:

> On 03/30/2012 10:26 AM, Camaleón wrote: [....]
>> Can you post/upload the exact command you used (how did you manage to
>> remove tha package) [....]
>
>     I was using synaptic.  I marked kdebase-runtime for ``complete
> removal'' (purging), and was presented with the list of packages see my
> earlier e-mail) to be removed as a result.  I just repeated it, and now,
> instead of thirteen packages, it wants to ditch 27 (list available on
> request :-).  I presume the difference is that I dist-upgraded in
> between---I'm following unstable.

Ouch, from bad to worse :-P

>     After a bit of poking around, I decided that the better part of
> valor was to not remove it.  :-)

Good and sane decision. Although the package information states:

***
This transitional package takes care of pulling in the new kde-runtime
package and can safely be removed after installation.
***

True is that some of the packages you have mentioned that were tagged to
be removed (e.g., "k3b") are still depending on the old package instead
the new one.

>> I would open agaisnt the transitional package "kdebase-runtime".
>
>      Ah, that makes the most sense to me, thanks.

Maybe not a good idea as some devel has pointed out, but that's what
indeed I'd would have done with no additional information in my hands, we
(users) are not skilled as "mind-readers" >>:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón