Re: Query about hard drive partitions maintenance

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:15:02 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote in message
<[🔎] jkq15m$4vf$6@dough.gmane.org>:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:24:00 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> > On Mi, 21 mar 12, 16:29:45, Camaleón wrote:
> >>
> >> For static mount points, this is usually done/set in "/etc/fstab".
> >> You basically need two things:
> >>
> >> - Set the right permission options for the mount point so users can
> >> read/ write/whatever
> >>
> >> - Create a mount point in your system with the right permissions
> >
> > From Linux' point of view this is not correct:
>
> Uh? What do you mean? :-?
>
> > # umount /home/amp/big
> > # ls -ld /home/amp/big
> > drwx------ 2 root root 4096 mai 16  2011 /home/amp/big
> > # mount /dev/sda6 /home/amp/big
> > # ls -l /home/amp/big
> > total 16
> > [...]
> > drwxrwxr-x  6 amp  amp    67 mai 22  2010 burn
> > drwx------  3 amp  amp  4096 feb  4 12:06 image
> > drw-------  2 root root    6 nov  7 16:36 lost+found
> > [...]
> >
> > As you can see, the permissions of the mount point have no
> > influence on the permissions of the files on the partition. This is
> > true for about any filesystem that is more or less native to Linux
> > (ext*, xfs, etc.).
>
> I'm not sure about your point here.
>
> What I wanted to say is that in order to make a mount point which is
> defined in "/etc/fstab" being writeable by your users the mount point
> has to have the proper permissions if not, depending on the path it
> is located (e.g., my backup disk is mounted under "/data/backup" to
> avoid loops when running the tar routine to make a copy of my "/home"
> directory), it will be owned by "root" which is not usually what the
> user wants.

..a wee exercise: Stuff an usb "key" into an usb hole, "dmesg &&df -h"
to see what happened.  Next, "umount -v $(that-usb-device) &&mkdir \
-vp /tmp/mountpoint/$(that-usb-device) &&mount -v $(that-usb-device)\
 /tmp/mountpoint/$(that-usb-device) &&df -h \
>>/tmp/mountpoint/$(that-usb-device)/df-h ", then verify with
"cat /tmp/mountpoint/$(that-usb-device)/* ", once you're happy with
that, try "umount -v $(that-usb-device) &&df -h \
>>/tmp/mountpoint/$(that-usb-device)/df-h and try diff your 2
"cat /tmp/mountpoint/$(that-usb-device)/* "'s. ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: