Re: Query about hard drive partitions maintenance

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:24:00 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 21 mar 12, 16:29:45, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> For static mount points, this is usually done/set in "/etc/fstab". You
>> basically need two things:
>>
>> - Set the right permission options for the mount point so users can
>> read/ write/whatever
>>
>> - Create a mount point in your system with the right permissions
>
> From Linux' point of view this is not correct:

Uh? What do you mean? :-?

> # umount /home/amp/big
> # ls -ld /home/amp/big
> drwx------ 2 root root 4096 mai 16  2011 /home/amp/big
> # mount /dev/sda6 /home/amp/big
> # ls -l /home/amp/big
> total 16
> [...]
> drwxrwxr-x  6 amp  amp    67 mai 22  2010 burn
> drwx------  3 amp  amp  4096 feb  4 12:06 image
> drw-------  2 root root    6 nov  7 16:36 lost+found
> [...]
>
> As you can see, the permissions of the mount point have no influence on
> the permissions of the files on the partition. This is true for about
> any filesystem that is more or less native to Linux (ext*, xfs, etc.).

I'm not sure about your point here.

What I wanted to say is that in order to make a mount point which is
defined in "/etc/fstab" being writeable by your users the mount point has
to have the proper permissions if not, depending on the path it is
located (e.g., my backup disk is mounted under "/data/backup" to avoid
loops when running the tar routine to make a copy of my "/home"
directory), it will be owned by "root" which is not usually what the user
wants.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón