Re: Query about hard drive partitions maintenance

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:57:18 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Lu, 26 mar 12, 15:15:02, Camaleón wrote:
>> >
>> > As you can see, the permissions of the mount point have no influence
>> > on the permissions of the files on the partition. This is true for
>> > about any filesystem that is more or less native to Linux (ext*, xfs,
>> > etc.).
>>
>> I'm not sure about your point here.
>>
>> What I wanted to say is that in order to make a mount point which is
>> defined in "/etc/fstab" being writeable by your users the mount point
>> has to have the proper permissions if not, depending on the path it is
>> located (e.g., my backup disk is mounted under "/data/backup" to avoid
>> loops when running the tar routine to make a copy of my "/home"
>> directory), it will be owned by "root" which is not usually what the
>> user wants.
>
> "mountpoint" can be ambiguous in this context, I probably just
> misunderstood you, so let me rephrase:
>
> When using filesystems that support Unix-style file permissions the
> permissions of the directory where the filesystem will be attached (a
> mountpoint in fstab(5) terminology) don't matter.

Mmm, IIRC, I had to add "acl" and "user_xattr" for my ext3 backup mount
point and the ReiserFS which I use for "/" has "notail" as default. But
these attributes have to be manually added when you're adding a new disk
from scratch, that's what I wanted to note.

> What matters are the actual permissions of the root directory of the
> filesystem and any other file present on that filesystem. These
> permissions do *not* depend on mount options[1], and can be changed with
> chown/chmod.

That was my second point :-)

> [1] I'm excluding the 'rw' and 'ro' mount options for the purpose of
> this discussion

And what about the above mentioned extended attributes? They can be
useful for enhancing the desktop search and also for samba shares.

> fat and ntfs (and probably others as well) are special. Since they don't
> support Unix-style permissions the owner and mode of *all* files on the
> filesystem can be set via mount options (uid,gid,fmask,dmask).

Yes, these ones are a different beast.

> Hope this explains,

Yup, thanks.

Greetings,