Re: 2nd try: reboot hangs

Hi Scott,

Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 29/03/12 00:58, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Mi, 28 mar 12, 09:26:55, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Haven't heard a peep on this one.

<snipped, there's an irony there somewhere>

Have you also tried both soft *and* hard reboots? (or should I make you
wait a few days? ;-p)

I've tried every option I could find for reboot=[warm, cold, bios, efi, pci, force, .... (can't remember the list offhand)].

Also beginning to wonder if the problem is at the hypervisor level (I'm running on Xen). Tried a bunch of variations there, too.
There is a list of things I'd check in BIOS and dmesg, but I'd start
with using another kernel, then looking for ACPI issues when calling
halt, *then* look at reboot. But that's just my approach to isolation
testing those sorts of issues, not necessarily the "right" way.
Tried setting logging to as verbose as I can get (both Dom0 and Xen), and it keeps coming down to the console message "restarting system" and then a hang. Not quite sure what to look at next.

Not quite sure I want to start digging through finding or building an alternate kernel, what with having to maintain compatibility with Xen - besides this is really starting to be more a matter of an itch to scratch than something that really gets in the way of using the system. I'm at the point of really wanting to isolate exactly the point at which something isn't working right, rather than avoiding having to push the reset button (it's not like this is one of the production servers sitting in a remote data center).

Any suggestions re. how to isolate this would be very much appreciated. In particular, I'm trying to figure out if there are some kernel or hypervisor messages that I'm just not seeing.

Thanks Very Much,

Miles