Re: can't get sound to work with webcam Logitech C910

Keith McKenzie wrote:

I have tried to see with alsamixer if something looked weird: recording
levels as well as play levels on both cards seem OK (Green + while in
the columns, just before the red zones).

Not sure if you've tried these:-

Alsamixer has 'mic-boost', 'capture', 'capture1', & 'internal mic boost'. (Press F4)

Also F6 might give another soundcard.

I sort of tried these... What I mean is that I suppose not all sound cards support all these options. Mine does have 'Capture', 'Playback' and various SPDIF options, but no 'intertnal mic boost' or 'mic boost'. As for F6, it lists the two sound cards that are available in that system, that is :

HDA Intel G45 DEVCTG

and the webcam sound card, that states that it does not have any playback function. For more details, please see the screen shots that I have done with alsamixer :

http://bdebreil.free.fr/alsamixer1.jpg

http://bdebreil.free.fr/Alsamixer2.jpg

http://bdebreil.free.fr/alsamixer3.jpg

http://bdebreil.free.fr/alsamixer4.jpg

http://bdebreil.free.fr/alsamixer5.jpg

http://bdebreil.free.fr/alsamixer6.jpg

http://bdebreil.free.fr/alsamixer7.jpg

http://bdebreil.free.fr/alsamixer8.jpg

You will surely notice on these screen shots that most sound settings are so high that they are 'in the red'. Those settings were the only ones that allowed me to record a very weak and distorted - but still existing - sound in videos. Normal settings (green zones and green + white zones) gave no sound at all