Re: can't get sound to work with webcam Logitech C910

Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 14:37:12 +0200, Bernard wrote:

Camaleón wrote:

main subpicture error : blending YUVA to I444 failed
       ^^^^^^^^^^

Mmm, the above error looks more close to be related with image than
sound :-?

It may be the case, since the image is not good either. It appears the
same as I could see it while recording, that is, in chunks... I mean, as
if the camera had been working on and off

Mmm, maybe is that Cheese is not well suited to get the best of HD cams, I mean, you may need more control over the video settings.

Have you tried your microphone from Gnome sound recorder or another
application (arecord)? How about running "alsamixer" (or your DE sound
applet) to be sure the "capture/input/mic" source control is at a high
level and not muted/lowered?
I tried both, recording is not muted, and I can play wav files by

$ play myfile.wav

What's the output of "arecord -l"? I ask becasue it can be that you have now two microphones (one coming from the sound card and other from the webcam) and need to define what's the default or which to use.

arecord -l says:

List of Capture Hardware devices

Card0: Intel [HDA Intel] device 0:
   ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevices #0: subdevice #0

Card1 : U0x46d:0x821 [USB Device 0x46d:0x821], device 0: USB
   audio [USB Audio]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I have tried to see with alsamixer if something looked weird: recording levels as well as play levels on both cards seem OK (Green + while in the columns, just before the red zones).

Now, what happens if I try just recording voice, with and without the webcam connected ? In both cases, it records ... next to nothing, but not quite nothing though. I just type:

$ rec testfile.wav

and I speak a few words... then CTRL C to quit, and:

$ play testfile.wav

I can hear next to nothing... but if I boost alsamixer cursors to the maximum (either with alsamixer in an xterm or using the icons on the gnome desk), then if it really is on the maximum (cursor columns gone full into the red), then I can record and play a sound that I can hear ; it is weak but still I can easily reckognize my voice. In the other hand,

$ play any_other_wavfile_recorded_somewhere_else.wav

I get normal level good sound with alsamixer set to normal values for play

I have just tested a bit more with alsamixer, this time using my webcam and GUVCwiewer. If I boost the alsamixer settings to maximum (red level), then I get SOME sound in my videos, which plays back using, not vlc, but 'Totem'... But then the played back sound si very week and even cracky (distorded with kinds of cracks)... and absolutely no sound at all if the alsamixer parameters are not to the maximum.

As for Cheese, I just tested something else as just mentioned. It is GUVCwiewer. It looks a lot better... but still no sound or very bad and weak one as stated above.