Re: can't get sound to work with webcam Logitech C910

Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 22:37:45 +0100, Bernard wrote:

I just bought the above mentioned web camera, and, if I record a video
using Cheese, the sound is not there when I try displaying the record
using 'vlc'. I get this:

main subpicture error : blending YUVA to I444 failed

Mmm, the above error looks more close to be related with image than sound :-?

It may be the case, since the image is not good either. It appears the same as I could see it while recording, that is, in chunks... I mean, as if the camera had been working on and off
this line repeated a number of times.

The image is there though, but no sound

Have you tried your microphone from Gnome sound recorder or another application (arecord)? How about running "alsamixer" (or your DE sound applet) to be sure the "capture/input/mic" source control is at a high level and not muted/lowered?

I tried both, recording is not muted, and I can play wav files by

$ play myfile.wav

But, maybe "Cheese" is not a good choice for video recording with a webcam such as this ? What else would you recommend ? My purpose with this webcam is, for now, to use is as a video recorder, not for video chat as yet.