Re: Best way to migrate disks

On 03/25/2012 12:44 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
Sorry, I just realized this morning that I had not mentioned that I am using lilo, not GRUB.
Well, with dd is almost the same, just copy the first sector as I've shown it to you:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1

More info:
<http://members.storm.ca/%7Eyan/Hard-Disk-Upgrade.html>
http://lilo.alioth.debian.org/olddoc/html/user_21-5.html

(NOTE: All three lvm partitions are in a single volume group, so that is all taken care of).
You still can use dd to copy partitions between disks.

If the old partition you want to copy is on LVM you don't need to stop all services just make a snapshot volume then use dd.

I may move the swap on the new drive into the lvm. No reason not to really, is there?
The only valid reason is an affirmative answer to: Are you going to resize your swap space in the future?

If I do that, however, it can wait until after I am able to boot from the new disk.
Yes, it can wait and you can be disable it if you want.

   "You don't know where your shadow will fall",
        Somebody.-
 Ing. Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta<olafrv@gmail.com>
 Personal Web Page -- http://olafrv.com -- info@olafrv.com