Re: vsftp problems (SOLVED)

Camaleón wrote:
> peter wrote:
> > Gary Roach wrote:
> >> Nowhere does it say that you may have to reboot your systems after
> >> installation of vsftpd.

It shouldn't be necessary to reboot.  That just means that something
else is happening that isn't fully understood yet.

> > Unfortunately none of us caught that. If the configuration of a daemon
> > running under inetd is alterred, "/etc/init.d/inetd restart" should be
> > sufficient.  Correction from expert is welcome.

"reload" would be prefered over "restart".  Or if you are old school
simply find the process id of the running program and send it a HUP
signal.

  # ps -ef |grep inetd
  root      3703     1  0 Feb19 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/inetd
  # kill -1 3703

However any package that installed itself there should be using the
update-inetd package interface and that script would have done the
above automatically.  If it didn't then it is a bug.  But if the
configuration were edited after install then it is up to the admin
editing the file to know to do this.

> I don't have such a service in Lenny:
>
> stt008:~# LANG=POSIX; /etc/init.d/inetd status
> -su: /etc/init.d/inetd: No such file or directory

It has been renamed to allow multiple implementations.  The version I
have installed is "openbsd-inetd".  But there are other alternative
implementations available.  Including xinetd which is quite different.

> ("man inetd" provides more info)
>
> Anyway, I can't see any good reason for a system restart to make vsftpd
> starts working. IIRC, Gary was firstly using a standalone profile setting
> for the daemon ("listen=YES") so restarting the inetd service would have
> been useless.

A very typical problem is that a daemon is configured to listen *both*
standalone *and* in inetd.  Since only one of them can actually do a
listen on a single port the first one started works and the second one
started fails.  This makes it dependent upon boot start order which
happens.  I can't tell if that is what is happening here but it seemed
likely after reading some of the comments.

Bob