Re: vsftp problems (SOLVED)

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:29:56 -0500, peter wrote:

> From:   	"Gary Roach" <gary719_list1@verizon.net> Date:
Mon, March
> 19, 2012 11:23 am
>> Nowhere does it say that you may have to reboot your systems after
>> installation of vsftpd.
>
> Unfortunately none of us caught that. If the configuration of a daemon
> running under inetd is alterred, "/etc/init.d/inetd restart" should be
> sufficient.  Correction from expert is welcome.

I don't have such a service in Lenny:

stt008:~# LANG=POSIX; /etc/init.d/inetd status
-su: /etc/init.d/inetd: No such file or directory

("man inetd" provides more info)

Anyway, I can't see any good reason for a system restart to make vsftpd
starts working. IIRC, Gary was firstly using a standalone profile setting
for the daemon ("listen=YES") so restarting the inetd service would have
been useless.

>> When I found that a
>> script for vsftpd had been installed in the rc*.d files I decided to
>> see what would happen if I rebooted the system. This fixed the problems
>> on every one of the machines. All are running in inet,d mode - I don't
>> care what the documentation says about my setup being standalone.
>
> I had similar thoughts when first trying get vsftp airborn.

(...)

Last time I had to setup vsftp (standalone) was plain easy, although at
that time I was using openSUSE :-). I only recall problems with Pam in
order to setup the virtual users login but nothing overwhelming.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón